What if you want to stay in Ketosis?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if you want to stay in Ketosis?

How would one about breaking a fast while still being in ketosis? Obviously eat fat and protein food. But what would be appropriate to eat? And why isn't eating some meat the right way to break a fast? I don't see why not. Carnivores go a week without meat, and finally eat some, feeling fine. What gives?

Vegetarian argument is not valid, this link makes a great point for that.

http://vimeo.com/10533993

I think meat is too hard to digest if you do a long fast...your system is "shut down" and your intestinal flora has died down. However I have broken fasts up to two weeks with a small serving of meat and vegetables (my typical diet) with no ill effects. But two weeks may have been pushing my luck, and might not work as well for everyone.

Comment

But I'm curious why animals do it just fine? They binge without any problems.

For example, a lion hasn't eaten for 7 days, his stomach is shrunk, looks skinny, suddenly gets a juicy antelope, eating it up, and the stomach acts like it was never sleeping?

I think breaking a fast involves eating whole foods, not sugars like vegetables and fruits are the only way to go, as long as you don't go to mcDonald's and order 50 mcnuggets, or should I say 50 pieces of diseased poultry, to end your fast, eating real meat should be fine. I'll make sure to attempt this when I break my fast to maybe confirm no side effects for myself.

Comment

I don't know. There have been stories, long ago, of people dying from breaking very long fasts with meat and dying from it. The site owner, Rob, broke a 2 week fast with a cheeseburger and got very sick. I broke a 2 week fast with a couple of naked chicken wings, complete with hot sauce, and a salad and was fine. I also broke a 2 week fast with chinese beef and mixed vegetables. But I am not sure I would try that if I were going 3 or more weeks on water only.

I have personally decided that unless I am fasting for a chronic health problem, I will always consume small amounts of food every 1-3 days during even a water fast, just to keep my gut active and the flora alive. Then it doesn't matter how I break it. But that's me. Chimp does the same by consuming approx 100 calories of probiotic yogurt a day when fasting.

Comment

Originally posted by tinajfreeman View Post
          I don't know. There have been stories, long ago, of people dying from breaking very long fasts with meat and dying from it. The site owner, Rob, broke a 2 week fast with a cheeseburger and got very sick. I broke a 2 week fast with a couple of naked chicken wings, complete with hot sauce, and a salad and was fine. I also broke a 2 week fast with chinese beef and mixed vegetables. But I am not sure I would try that if I were going 3 or more weeks on water only.

I have personally decided that unless I am fasting for a chronic health problem, I will always consume small amounts of food every 1-3 days during even a water fast, just to keep my gut active and the flora alive. Then it doesn't matter how I break it. But that's me. Chimp does the same by consuming approx 100 calories of probiotic yogurt a day when fasting.
          Most likely by all the preservatives and chemicals that made him sick that were in the burger, not the fact meat was is in it. I'm sure the human body is more adaptable then that. I don't think humans wouldn't have gotten too far if they were picky about what they ate after a period of (to them it was starvation) fasting.

Just my opinion.

Comment

I found these two discussions on breaking a fast with meat ... http://curezone.com/forums/am.asp?i=1629363 and http://www.curezone.org/forums/am.asp?i=1474395

Im not sure that it comes to any conclusions but interesting reading
            LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Comment

The animals are built to do this, we for sure are not. They have entirely different intestines and stomachs than we do. While we may be omnivore in some ways, our body creates cancer and other diseases from animal based foods. The Lion has a smaller digestive system and has the acids to dissolve bones, flesh, and thrive off of dead carcasses just the way they are. We do not, hence the need to cook them. Comparing a human to a lion is like comparing a man's anatomy to a woman's anatomy and saying they are exactly the same. How come women can get pregnant and men cannot? Because we are built differently.

Comment

i find high quality raw meat and fish is okay.

Comment

Working...
                X