Thread: Keeping The Weight Off After Fasting - Anyone Succesful?

New Member Fasting Corporal

Keeping The Weight Off After Fasting - Anyone Succesful?

Hi there - I am embarking on another water fast and haven't been successful in keeping weight off after my fasts in the past. It's like my cravings or hunger or whatever builds up so much that it is uncontrollable and leads to a binge. Yet, I still have hopes that I will be able to do it this time. I'm looking for someone who has actually been successful in doing a water fast and keeping the weight off after (even if you gained a little back which is to be expected when you begin solid foods again).

Thank you so much! I just want some encouragement and hope that this can be a weight loss solution.

Exclamation Re: Keeping the weight off after a fast - anyone successful?

Gary Null has a great book too, and he's done a ton of research. Just stay away from foods that say 'enriched'. It sounds like a positive thing, but it's the opposite. Enriched describes foods that have been altered, stripped of what we need. Then they add nutrients (enrich it) back in. But it's not the same as the food in its original state. Research food and you can re-feed successfully.

Also everyone should see the video on chocolate, cheese, and meat. I'll post it for others. Many people fast for weightloss alone, but have little intention or motivation to change their foods. Most people think it can't be all that bad if the FDA allows it to be sold. Right. Well check it out, if you get the chance.

It's enough to make you think at least. I had no problem dropping meat in 06. Never looked back. But my real problem were things in boxes and cans that had enriched flours.

Even though i switched to 100% whole wheat, I still had lots of processed foods I loved. Also, if you pick up bread that says whole grain or wheat, look in the ingredients. If it says enriched, put it back. Look for ones that say 100% whole wheat.

Another thing I suggest to people who constantly fail fasts and have a deep attachment to eating......I suggest eating every other day. When I felt attached to foods, I did that and weight came off quickly. And I knew that I'd be fine because I would eat the next day. The binge desire faded, I ate less, and I ended up eating every 2 days. It's a great alternative to fasting.

Just listen to your body. Don't fast with fear...you have to know you're ready.

kiwi888

Just began an extended water fast a week ago, will transition back with a mostly raw food diet (welikeitraw.com). Today's weather, withdrawal headache with a chance of water! Also still have a bad taste on tongue.

Constantly brushing teeth and tongue! Skin brushed arrived and feels great before showering. Usiing recumbent bike and doing crunches and lots of stretching. Good luck, everyone. I'm new here, and you can contact me for suppport.

I read about a diet that apparently works, without dieting so you can buy fashion that fits...well, it is not a diet per se, anyway, the basic premis is that you eat whatever you like one day, but eat nothing the following and alternate like that.

What happens is that after initially binging on the days you can eat, actually, you become more and more aware of what you are putting in your mouth and tend towards eating more healthily.

Also, I know experts deny this, but I'm sure that my stomach size shrinks if I don't eat in vast quantities. If I eat an enormous meal in the evening, I have severe hunger in the morning. I am sure it is because my stomach has got used to this huge amount of food and needs the same quantitiy to make it feel full.

By fasting every second day, your stomach doesn't get stretched out, and therefore you will eat less than normal. That is my 2 cents worth. Might be worth a try.

Hi,

Crash dieting can let you shed those pounds, at the expense of your health. Once you eat normally, you will regain what you lost and more. When you fast, or when you go on a crash diet, you might lose weight rapidly at first, then your body adjusts, trying to conserve calories just to survive.

Imagine the days of the cavemen. Sometimes, the hunter is successful and returns with food for the familiy. Other times, he returns empty-handed. Our bodies are adaptable. That is how our ancestors survived. When food was plentiful, they ate to their fill. Their bodies stored the food in the form of fat. When food was scarce, they had little, at times nothing to eat, the body could depend on the stores of fat for the necessary energy for survival. Hence when food is available, the body stores what it can for the bad time.

Back to modern day. The first crash diet might seem wildly successful, with the pounds falling off rapidly. Then you reach your target weight and stop dieting. You bloat up and the weight piles on even more easily. Well, congratulations. You tricked your body into going into starvation mode, slowing down your metabolism. Now that you are finally, eating, your body is storing what it can in case of a famine.

Now you diet again. That drastic diet you tried doesn't seem effective. After cutting even more calories, you manage to shed the offending pounds. Satisfied, you take a break from the diet and all your hard work is wasted. The pounds return with a vengeance. Looks like your body is becoming very adept at holding on to the much needed energy stores in case of a famine.

You crash diet again. This time, your hair falls, the pounds seem even harder to lose. You are depriving your body of the nourishment it needs and that shows in your brittle hair, nails and dull skin.

Basically, although crash diets seem effective at first, they are a bad idea in the long run.

Hi dear magicmarsha, that's really true that by fasting there is change of the health and weight also measure's..... So that's good if you find the good result's by fasting........

I have tried this plan and achieved my goal to enough extent.
    this also support you in weight loss.

Health tips

Hi marsha,
    If you will eat balanced healthy diet and drink enough water to meet your all day body requirement you don't feel like carving or hunger.
    I lost 40 lbs by water fasting last year.

I must admit that following it through was harder than when you initially start. The tendency would be, you were already able to pull it off and you have to celebrate for your success but then, you think you already lost the weight and you can start eating again.

If you have that mindset, chances are, you are going to weigh heavier than before you started your fasting regimen. It was really hard to focus but when you are able to align your mindset, then you are all good.

After the juice portion of a water fast solid foods may be introduced. Its better to start with breakfast of fruits or of freshly prepared muesli, made by soaking oatmeal in pineapple juice overnight and, the next morning, adding fresh fruit and a dispersion of ground nuts.

It affects to some people and most probably it doesn't affect to some people because of their body fats and body structure and also it is very important matter so it is effective and in favor of some people.

personal trainer orange county

I really enjoyed the video posted here by kiwi. I honestly think I am going to give this vegan thing a try after my upcoming fast. This coming from a guy who loves steak and milk and all that bad shit. But I think it is possible to break out of this and eat healthier. Thanks for sharing this!

Super Moderator Fasting Admiral tinajfreeman's Avatar
    Xakk, you can also consider trying a "plant based" diet...where you aim for at least 75% of your food by volume to be actual vegetables. The remaining 25% can be carbs and protein. Have meat in very small portions or limit to 1-2 times a week. Have fish or seafood several times per week. Have a steak once in a while, but make it a small one, or split it with someone. Sometimes I will cook a steak, let it rest, then cut it into thin slices and split it between myself, my teenage son, and two little ones. Have at least one raw vegetable dish or salad each day. This is much healthier than the typical modern diet, without the strict regimen of veganism.

If you do go vegan, watch out for processed and fatty foods. If you find yourself eating processed "meat substitutes"....you may as well have a little meat. Keep it natural. My oldest boy had a vegan girlfriend who made a great show of being vegan, but stayed chubby. Turns out potato chips and even doughnuts can be "vegan"

Cool

In all honesty you dont gain the weight back as long as you eat healthy i really do recommend for at least a month do a gluten-free vegan diet afterwards! Also its not true that you gain weight by just eating trust me i struggled with anorexia and bulimia last year i know what its like. I would never recommend things such as those... but a water fast in my opinion is fantastic and if you believe in yourself you can do it! If you are doing this for weight loss ofcourse it will be very beneficial because i do remeber before i had lost all that weight what it felt like to not want to go out because my clothes didnt fit and all the comments id get from others but your only motivation should be just imagining all the benefits you get...think of the confidence compliments and jealousy you'll get!:D i hope you do great and you wont die or whatever you read on the internet.... Im telling you from personal experience that i would literally drink water and eat only like an apple and throw it up and i went down to a size 1 in 2 months...so expect to loose alot and keep it off with what i recommended!!!

Full Member Fasting Ensign
    I'm a big fan of a lot of what Dr. Fuhrman says. He is very strict in his guidelines but he does promote a plant based diet which could include meat once or twice a week like Tina suggests. I am a full blown vegan and it made me thin at first but what happens is that you learn how to get fat as a vegan after awhile... lol..

The first accident diet might seem extremely effective, with the pounds dropping off quickly. Then you reach your focus on body weight and stop diets. You bloat up and the body weight heaps on even more easily. Well, best wishes. You deceived your system into going into hunger method, reducing down your metabolic rate. Now that you are lastly, eating, your human is saving what it can in case of a starvation.

Super Moderator Fasting Admiral tinajfreeman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Damian View Post
    The first accident diet might seem extremely effective, with the pounds dropping off quickly. Then you reach your focus on body weight and stop diets. You bloat up and the body weight heaps on even more easily. Well, best wishes. You deceived your system into going into hunger method, reducing down your metabolic rate. Now that you are lastly, eating, your human is saving what it can in case of a starvation.
    Starvation mode is a myth. Starvation does not set in until body fat gets extremely low. If you have actual scientific evidence to share with us, please do. We are not aware of any.

It can help you effective,check out at the website http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc50NwqsjC0.
    Good luck for you!

Thread Information