Thread: Need some help getting through day 2-4 on water fast

New Member Fasting Corporal ilovetea's Avatar

Red face Need some help getting through day 2-4 on water fast

Hi there-

I've done fasting numerous times before, but not much over the past couple of years. I've been struggling with weight problems and food addition issues, and want to overcome both of these issues.
    My goal is to do a 40 day water fast (have done 21 days before, a couple years back, but not with weight loss in mind... this time I do need to shape up, as my health isn't the greatest right now! I've got a good 50lbs+ to donate!)
    My problem is as follows: I've tried starting up over the past couple of weeks, and I reach a hump at day 2 and 3 or sometimes 4, and I crash, and cave to eating food.
    Does anyone have advice to get past this? Does anyone else have this issue, or have suggestions on ways to keep focused at the long term goal? Helpful thoughts would be greatly appreciated I'm hoping to give this another go starting next Monday, and want the tools and mindset to keep the momentum going!

Moderator Fasting Captain Chimp's Avatar
    A series of short term fasts (18 hours or more) will provide the same health benefits as a long term fast. So I suggest you start with intermittent fasting and add in longer fasts when you're able. You lose about a pound of fat per day on a water fast. So let's do the math. What if you fast two days and eat a reasonable meal of 1500 calories at the end of the third day?

40 day water fast: lose 40 lbs or so
    40 day intermittent water fast: includes 11 meals of 1500 calories. Which totals 16,500 calories. There are about 3,500 calories in a pound of fat, so eating this much food over forty days will reduce your weight loss by about 4.7 pounds. So you'll lose around 33 pounds, you'll improve your insulin sensitivity, you'll learn portion control and you'll learn to use fasting to manage your weight in the long term.

So 40 pounds and total avoidance of food or 33 pounds eating a bit.

You can do this! You've demonstrated you can go 2 -3 days without food. Just eat a small, satisfying meal of favorite foods when you break a fast and start again immediately. I think that as time goes on, you'll find it easier and easier to go longer without food. Turn what you see as a failure (breaking your fast) into a success and move forward from there.
    Last edited by Chimp; 10-06-2011 at 01:31 PM.

Moderator Fasting Captain Chimp's Avatar
    And by eating every third day, you'll keep your energy levels up which means you can add exercise and lose that additional weight. Again, here's the math.

A 30 minute brisk walk every day will burn about 175 calories per day. That's 7,000 calories or two additional pounds of fat. So think what you can burn with more strenuous exercise!

Super Moderator Fasting Admiral tinajfreeman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetea View Post
    Hi there-

I've done fasting numerous times before, but not much over the past couple of years. I've been struggling with weight problems and food addition issues, and want to overcome both of these issues.
    My goal is to do a 40 day water fast (have done 21 days before, a couple years back, but not with weight loss in mind... this time I do need to shape up, as my health isn't the greatest right now! I've got a good 50lbs+ to donate!)
    My problem is as follows: I've tried starting up over the past couple of weeks, and I reach a hump at day 2 and 3 or sometimes 4, and I crash, and cave to eating food.
    Does anyone have advice to get past this? Does anyone else have this issue, or have suggestions on ways to keep focused at the long term goal? Helpful thoughts would be greatly appreciated I'm hoping to give this another go starting next Monday, and want the tools and mindset to keep the momentum going!
    The "key" to success if you slip every 3rd or 4th day is to GO RIGHT BACK TO FASTING. You don't win a special reward for going 40 days without a bite. Your goal is to lose weight and learn better eating habits.

Chimp and I are thinking of fasting as not something we are doing to lose weight, but a total lifestyle change. We are making fasting part of our way of life, permanently. So I am not on "A" fast. I fast. I eat sometimes if I need to or want to. But the rest of the time I fast. When I get thin, I will eat more often...but I know I will always fast at least 1 or 2 days a week, or perhaps 22 hours of every day. In this way we will always be able to enjoy the foods we love, but no longer be controlled by constant eating.

Super Moderator Fasting Admiral tinajfreeman's Avatar
    Think of it this way...our bodies were designed with this marvelous mechanism to keep us from starving. Every time we eat more than we need, even if it is a little, the body saves it up for a day that we don't have enough to eat. And it does this every day. After a while we have a lot stored up...as fat. Early humans had days they had a lot to eat...somebody just killed a mammoth or something...and other days there wasn't much. Maybe a few berries.

The problem with modern society is we have plenty of food. We eat what we need (or more) every single day. Our body never gets the chance to use up all the food it has stored! We have to learn to give our body a chance to "clean the storeroom". Our bodies are going to save up the excess. We have to regularly give our body a break from eating so we can use up the excess.

When I am fasting and get hungry, and it isn't the time I've chosen to eat...I remind myself..."I already ate! It's stored right here on my belly!".

New Member Fasting Corporal ilovetea's Avatar
    Thank you for the thoughts Chimp and Tina.

Good perspective on the intermittent fast, Chimp. If I don't reach where I'm going this time around, I may try to adjust to 2/3 days on, 1-2 days off. I just hate the hold that food has over me at the moment!

Tina- love the "I already ate- it's stored right here in my belly!" That's something I'll work to tell myself as well

Today I'm on day 1 of my attempted long term fast. An okay start so far. Nausea is my biggest problem. Please send some positive thoughts my way!

Thread Information